"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, January 8, 2011

6

1:00 Woke, then tried to be quiet for an hour in and out of the little room we called the water closet in England.  I think I was most successful, although at the end I was also trying to stifle a cough.  C'est la vie! Finally settled down after taking 2 1/2 tablespoons of Western Family's version of the famous pink medicine you take when you have these issues.  Knott's Berry Farm's Ghost Town used to have signs for "Lydia Pinkham's Pink Pills For All Practical Purposes", guess it reminds me of that ... 

I also slowly swallowed a zinc throat lozenge with a small attempt to mask the zinc flavor with "cherry".  They are effective, that's why I use them.  But the flavor stays with you a looooooooooooooooong time.

6:42 Woke for the day.  It's Saturday, decided to rest an extra hour this morning.  Brushed my teeth.  Zinc flavor is still there.

7:18  Started vacuuming the family room.  My visit to Terreeeblay will wait for the evening today ...

8:06 Went to Farmers' Market to get a few items for my sweet.  They even had red grapes!  Those are hard to find this time of year, none at Wal-Mart or Lins, but Farmers' came through ...

8:48 Went through the drive-up mail box, got a phone call from Willyne that Sue needs her charger.  Turns out it's in the bag for her Mac that she left with me while I am creating a spreadsheet for her to track consignment sales at the Ugly Trailor.

9:36 Drove to the office ... to work on a personal project today!

10:42 Located Sue at her store.  Drove over to take her the computer bag.  She'll bring it back Monday night so I can continue on her project Tuesday, and she can use it in the meantime.  (I had been told on Thursday when she brought me Microsoft Excel for Mac and her computer that next week was fine, but she was missing her computer while I was thinking of ideas for the spreadsheet)

11:06 Drove back to the office.  Needed to get some "cheerful" music on.  After a little channel surfing (how much can you do in a ten block drive) I settled on "107.3 The Fox", they were playing an old favorite from 1967 ...

[Original Video] Los Bravos Black Is Black 1967 - Canal Nostalgia  (sorry no picture, can't get an embed code on this one, but it plays fine in a separate You Tube window if you click on the underlined link.  Reminds me of "travelling music" heading north on the Golden State Freeway (I-5) just before Gabriel Herman checked in at the top of the Grapevine on the way to the cabin on Breckenridge Mountain east of Bakersfield.  Ask my brother John if you'd like his version of what I'm talking about.

Hey, Becca, maybe you need another surprise in your life (since you thought it was so amazing I had been to a Carpenters concert at BYU in a previous lifetime) ... the Association sings this much better than I do, but yes, your father sang this song live in concert at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena in 1971 (the same arena that he and his sons got into a hand motion scuffle with a large black traffic lady when leaving a Clippers game 20 years later.  The lady won and they went down a street (read:  back alley in Watts) that still scares him thinking about it, but his sons still laugh about that incident now) ...

there is even proof on an old 33 album floating around our house somewhere ...

The bass line on that song is a lot of fun!

11:18 Cooked some old fashioned oats, ate it with the last of my strawberry yogurt, and started on a large glass of water and vitamins while typing this post from 1:00 until now.  And yes, the zinc flavor is still in my mouth.   But I haven't coughed again either.

13:11 Took a quick break from my project and heated a piece of pepperoni pizza.  My computer is now playing "Spirit in the Sky" by Norman Greenbaum, followed by "Henry the Eighth I Am" by Hermans Hermits.  I'm smiling ...  OK, back to work now ...

14:04 Ate the other leftover piece of pizza I have here with me.

16:45 Snack - remaining 1/3 of a small Croshaw's coconut pie Willyne gave me to take to the office a couple days ago, along some peanuts I shelled and ate (peanuts came from that surprise treat bag at City Council last Wednesday night).  I just started a third 16 ounce glass of water for the day.

20:15 Arrived home from work.  Ate a plate of dinner:  two croissants with a red grape, apple, chicken salad filling, small scoop each of berry jello pretzel salad and lemon pudding with mandarin oranges and little pieces of cookie.  Had a 8 ounce cup of homemade lemonade.

21:20 Day 16 - walked 0.52 miles on a flat surface in 14 minutes. Series 2 total: 7.13 miles in 3 hours 16 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Love the new blog! Boredom is not an option here! Look for red grapes at Costco, they have good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the produce at Costco! I also wish I had a picture of the "Boredom" billboard in Vegas. Such a classic!

    ReplyDelete