"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, May 7, 2011

95

Pictures on the Terreeeblay blog!

My niece Danielle celebrated her graduation from Southern Utah University yesterday by cooking us all a Chinese dinner (with lots of help from her mother Pamela) and inviting us on a walk to the LaVerkin overlook, so here are some pictures ...
A view back towards the house as we're getting started.  Can you see Willyne waving at us?
Catching a breath at the first flat stretch

Pamela and Danielle enjoy the view.  They think the Hurricane Arch Bridge looks pretty nice from this vantage point.  I choose this time to tell them about the airplane flying under the bridge in the James Bond movie "Octopussy" ...
We can see more of LaVerkin as we climb -- and enjoy another chance to catch our breath -- we needed every one of them!
Speedy Tanner, Logan, and Cody are far ahead of us!
Phillip, Marissa, Pamela, and Danielle continue up ...

High enough now to look down at the river.  I'm always amazed to look at the irrigation canal dug by hand over 100 years ago. Those were some hardy pioneers!
I enjoyed the small, delicate orange flowers and the purple blossoms on the cactus.



Can you find any of the 10 horses grazing along the river below?

One of three shots of the happy warriors at the top.  Benjamin, your rock and cement structure supporting the metal information plaque is as sturdy as ever, even if the plaque itself is long gone.

Of course this is the Terreeblay blog, so we will still have stats:

Day 11 - We walked 3.22 km (2.00 mi.) today with 207.87 m (682 feet) of elevation gain in 1 hr 12 minutes.  (I'm basing the elevation gain on a starting elevation of 3202 feet and an ending elevation of 3884 feet as shown on the following free online topographic map: 
http://www.mytopo.com/maps/index.cfm?search_string=84745)
Series 2B totals 19.32 km (12.01 miles) in 4 hours 37 minutes, with 341.98 m (1122 feet) climbed. S

This was the first Series 3 walk since February 26.  (Click here if you'd like to know more: http://terreeeblay.blogspot.com/2011/02/48.html#comments)  Today's walk brings the Series 3 totals to 18.97 km (11.79 mi) in 5 hours 9 minutes.

And since the Series 4 walk in April was cancelled, this impromptu walk began that series -- and what a great start it was!

But, I have to put it in perspective.  I have come a long ways since starting this blog to document my progress in walking to build up stamina and health.  But I have much farther to go.  I was surprised how many stops I needed, how hard I was breathing, and how fast my heart was pumping.

And today was the Ironman in St. George.  The winner did a 2.4 mile swim, followed by a 112 mile bike ride through beautiful and quite hilly terrain, and then finished with a 26.2 mile run with more climbing.  In a little over 8 hours.  Truly amazing. 

By comparison I did a 0 - 0 - 0.015 Ironman.  No swimming.  No cycling.  1.5% of the effort on foot (2.0 miles compared to 26.2, at 19% of the pace, with a similar climb -- multiply those three and you get 1.5%).  And I was seriously out of breath.  I salute what these athletes accomplished today!  (For more on today's St. George Ironman competition, click here:  http://tinyurl.com/3gs3x8w)

I am the passionately smiling tortoise.  I'm happy with my progress today today.  Thanks for helping me stay motivated!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! I love series 3, so what is going to happen next Sat? And what is with the black mark at the bottom of your pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't decided what will happen next Saturday yet -- my allergies are doing me in -- do you have suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pure legend indeed! Didn't even hear about this happening when I was out there Saturday evening!! Congrats on getting things back on track Awes with Series 3!

    We are having our Father's and Sons campout in Veyo this weekend if you're interested in joining us. I will be taking Ethan and Riley with me (yes, this is Riley's first campout!) Would say we could find an awes hike to do while we're there, and we can if you'd like, but we're in Veyo because one of my boys will be restoring the Veyo Park on Saturday for his Eagle Project. Again, you're invited to as much or as little as you would like to participate in Awes. Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the invite. I will see what I can do, does sound tempting. My allergies are at their yearly peak right now, actually I'm wondering how you are not in the midst of the same battle. I'll see how I'm feeling later in the week, what the wind and the pollen count look like, ... basically I'm saying no but I may change my mind. Thanks again!

    PS - Yesterday was great, I really enjoyed being a part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have struggled a bit, usually just in the mornings and after a couple hours things calm down for me on the allergy front. I won't plan on you for this weekend then, but if you change your mind we'd certainly love to have you.

    Thanks for coming and being involved yesterday. Always awes to have the love and support you bring. Love!!

    ReplyDelete