"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, June 9, 2012

3-40



Walked 3.53 miles in 1 hour 25 minutes this afternoon, including 584 feet climbed. HumanaFit rated part of it a category 3 climb (Tortoise Rating: 0.7).  It was my first category 3 climb.

Chapter 3 totals are 37.82 miles walked in 15 hours 22 minutes, with 1,065 feet climbed, and 6 swims totalling 1,590 meters in 1 hour 32 minutes.

Here's a map, some more pictures, and some commentary on this walk:




In addition to walking or swimming daily, I am once again trying to take one longer walk each week.  I was working on the road today, and didn't know when I would finish.  When I did, in late afternoon, I was in Kaysville, Utah, and googled trails there hoping to find something to move up from category 5 to 4, maybe 3.   Meaning an increase in slope from 3% to something over 6%.

I found a trail up Adams Canyon to a waterfall that sounded nice, so I started up planning to then retrace my steps.  Once you get up to where you meet the stream going down the canyon, you have a choice of three trails, none of which are marked.  There had been serious efforts down the hill to put up fences and retaining walls to keep you on the trail and reduce erosion, so I chose the most used trail thinking it would lead me to the falls.

It didn't.  I wound up on something called the Bonneville Shoreline Trail, as you can see in one of the pictures below.  Still a nice walk, but now I am going to try to learn more about where I went.  It is clear from the map though that I did not continue up the canyon but started going south along the base of the mountains.  It is a popular trail, I passed many walkers, runners, and mountain bikers, all of whom were friendly to an older looking guy walking alone and somewhat out of breath most of the time.  That's the point, I'm trying to condition myself to expand my lung capacity.

Enjoy the pictures:
Panoramic view looking northwest from the top

This sign confirmed what I was thinking ... I started climbing
 Adams Canyon,  but wound up on the Bonneville Shoreline Trail

View from the top looking southwest.  You can see the Oquirrhs in the distance.


View looking up Adams Canyon. 

An attempt to show the incline on the steepest part of the trail.

Parts of the trail go right through low oak trees
Here is my eating today:


 2,515  2,397  661  1,736
Food ItemServingsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
Egg White2.00320g0mg110mg0g0g0g8g
Asparagus, Boiled1.00200g0mg13mg4g1g2g2g
Avocado0.50818g0mg7mg9g1g5g1g
Oatmeal3.002255g0mg0mg41g2g6g8g
10 Raisins1.00140g0mg1mg4g3g0g0g
Sliced Almonds1.0013312g0mg0mg5g1g3g5g
Banana, medium1.001050g0mg1mg27g14g3g1g
Yoplait General Mills Yoplait Light Strawberry Yogurt - 6 Oz1.001000g-5mg85mg17g11g0g5g
Simply Orange Orange Juice1.701870g0mg0mg44g37g0g3g
Carl's Jr. Charbroiled BBQ Chicken Sandwich1.003605g60mg1,150mg48g12g4g34g
Wendy's Chili, Small size1.002206g35mg780mg23g6g5g17g
Chicken Breast2.002602g136mg154mg0g0g0g54g
Roasted Potatoes2.006008g0mg0mg72g8g8g0g
Andes Mint Patty0.40601g0mg28mg12g0g0g0g
FitnessMinutesCals Burned
Walk: 2.5 mph (24min/mi)85.0-661.0
TotalsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
1,73646g226mg2,329mg305g96g36g139g


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/#ixzz1xMG6DKqn


I listened to the talk "The Powers of Heaven" by Elder David A. Bednar of The Quorum of Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints during all of this today.  Here are some thoughts I especially took note of:

"Ordinary men are given the authority of the priesthood. Worthiness and willingness—not experience, expertise, or education—are the qualifications for priesthood ordination."

"President Spencer W. Kimball also pointedly emphasized the active nature of the priesthood: “One breaks the priesthood covenant by transgressing commandments—but also by leaving undone his duties. Accordingly, to break this covenant one needs only to do nothing” (The Miracle ofForgiveness [1969], 96)."

"Brethren, I promise that if you and I will prayerfully ponder the pleas of these sisters, the Holy Ghost will help us to see ourselves as we really are (see D&C 93:24) and help us recognize the things we need to change and improve. And the time to act is now!
This was a great day!


4 comments:

  1. Looks like a pretty sweet trail you happened upon via your google search, and I appreciate you sharing the pictures. Glad you're still able to find ways to keep the tortoise moving in the right direction even while you're traveling. Congrats on another solid week, and your first category 3 climb!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this. Maybe we can go together sometime, it definitely is a good workout in a short time, and the views are even better than these pictures show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to do it with you sometime...if ever I find myself in northern Utah again. :) Excited to have our first official practice hike next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to that too ... it will be fun watching Ethan setting the pace, I hope I can keep in his rear view mirror. :-)

    ReplyDelete