"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, January 1, 2014

14-1



Two fun walks to start the new year!

One with 4 generations to begin the celebration of Willyne's birthday


and one for the tortoise to get his exercise.  Please click below for more pictures, maps, and some tunes to introduce the tortoise's walking plans for the new year.



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

and one for the tortoise to get his exercise


Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit
Here's what it looks like from above ...




I started at the turnoff from Highway 59 for the new Olympus Academy
(at the former site of Diamond Ranch Academy)



and began walking a little over a mile down that road to the Gould's trailhead


Near the cattle guard most of the way to the trailhead, I found some cows



Attempting to eat.  Not clear what they found.  Several crossed the road,
I'm sure in the hope of finding something better on the other side



I'm confident Benjamin would have enjoyed the view :-)



Now I leave the academy access road and start walking the Gould trail




Like the JEM trail that is also part of the Hurricane Cliffs trail system,
this is more a mountain bike trail than a walking one, though I didn't
see any bikes today.






And here we are at the end of the Gould trail at Highway 59.
The JEM trailhead and parking area is directly across the highway.


Proof that I made it back to my car while it was still light :-)


So, after all, it's a new year.  If you're wondering what the tortoise has in mind this year (why, of course you are!), take a listen at 0:47, add a mile, and you'll have it.  An hour a day, 3 1/4 miles on average, hopefully with a little climbing to get my heart rate to the 125 Dr. Carter is looking for when I do this, on as many of the 313 non-Sundays in 2014 as I can manage.  I get a smile every time I hear or see these fellows, so please enjoy them with me ...



The stats for today:

4.19 miles walked (total of both walks), which contributed 0.42% of my 2014 goal.
1:35:16 hours walked (again, total), which is 0.51% of my 2014 goal
397 total feet climbed
690 calories burned
Tortoise rating for the entire second walk (so a full hour plus at this level):  4.8.

0.32% of the year has passed.  The purpose of the percentages, is I want to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than I have of the year passing.  This tells me I am on track.

I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

I have other goals too, of course, and you might just find some of them on my other blogs if I haven't bored you to tears already with these goals.

Cheerio!

4 comments:

  1. Torch post Dad! The fact you love this song so much is awesome! Good luck on your goal of 1000 miles! You've got this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see all the new and creative ways you find to get in your daily walk el padre, and as always the pictures you share are righteous, loves :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The tortoise has come a long ways since he posted: (1) A question whether he would reach 100 miles or 100 days first (2) Traded in Terreeeblay the treadmill for fresh air whenever possible and (3) Was inspired by the two of you to put pictures in here. What started as an serendipitous accident that you loved has turned into a challenge to find a new viewpoint on repeated scenes, and a continuing search for new places to walk. Google search on my phone is go to for me whenever I'm in a new place now!

    ReplyDelete