"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, March 29, 2014

14-88


Got up early before my first appointment and walked some more of the Santa Ana River trail.  I got within two miles of the beach.  The closer I got the better the smells got.  Salty sea air.  Fragrant bushes growing in the river bottom when I got past the paved section.  In places they have full trees growing in the riverbed, and this is southern California!  Then a little before mile 2 as measured from the beach starting point, the trails on both sides of the river are combined by sending everyone on the east side over the classic bridge pictured above.

I'm clearly not the only one who was enjoying this ... I quickly lost count of all the cyclists and even pelatons that passed me both directions. It was sunny, around 60 degrees, and a fine morning.  In the true meaning of the word fine, not the misused version when someone doesn't want to tell you how they feel.

Walked 5.44 miles, with 46 feet climbed going below streets and back up afterwards, in 1:27:39 hours.  I continued my normal practice of not stopping the clock when taking the pictures, so the tortoise got a good workout today.  Feels good! Tortoise rating was 6.8; calories burned:  903.

There's a map, lots of pictures, the promise of Eli coming (a fine tune, there I used the word again), and more waiting for you when you click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!

Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

























And now for a "put a smile on your face", energetic bonus, before I give you the latest year-to-date totals ...

 

2014 Stats:

260.39 miles walked, which is 26.04% of my 2014 goal.
81:51:13 hours walked, which is 26.15% of my 2014 goal
11,979 total feet climbed
42,015 calories burned
 24.28% of the year has passed
I've walked on 71 of the 76 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.42% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

3 comments:

  1. As always, so much to comment on. The early morning walk, the awesome trail, bridges, proximity to the beach, and then the use of the word fine in it's proper form! Then to top it off you add the song and I can just picture you jamming down this trail listening to this gem. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All pictures were awes, but I'm gonna be honest the one you used at the top was my fav. Wooden bridges/tunnels are just fun.

    I also loved the "energetic bonus" part. Pure gems in this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This walk made me especially happy so I'm glad you both agree! The wooden bridge came near my turnaround point and was an unexpected nice reward for going the extra mile today! (There is something really fine :-) about exploring new places every day and not knowing what gems you will find. By the way, this is especially true walking the full Minuteman Trail. I was so tired doing that but it made me incredibly happy!

    Also really pleased you both like today's song. Yes, it really does add an extra quickness to my step and smile to my face. If you click on tunes in my list of topics in the right column, you can see every post that I've added a song to, about 20 posts at this point. By the way, this also works if you want to see the walks in a given place. Just in cas you decide to go wandering around past posts. :-)

    ReplyDelete