"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, April 19, 2014

14-109


I finished my last segment of the Hurricane Rim loop today -- the Gould's Rim Trail.  Pictured above is Doug and Stefanie heading out to enjoy the beautiful views on their jeep ride home after dropping me off at the trailhead.  Thanks to you both!

My walk of Gould's Rim meandered along the winding top of the rim overlooking this wash, heavily eroded from years of flash floods.  My car was parked a short distance from the north end of the trail, including that, I walked 3.09 miles with 207 feet climbed in 55:28 minutes.  As you might expect, there is a lot of up and down terrain as the trail crosses the hilly rim overlooking the wash.  Tortoise rating:  4.6.  Calories burned:  480.

There's a map and many more pictures waiting for you when you click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

Views looking east


 
And west as the trail begins.  Straight ahead is Molly's Mountain ...
a notably different view from the one in the Hurricane Valley.

Add caption

I chuckled at this warning to mountain bicyclers to pass this section
with care.  I hope they see it before they experience it - it's a small
sign placed right at the point of concern.


There is another dirt road that makes this a possible alternate starting point
a short distance after the main trailhead.











2014 Stats:

310.83 miles walked, which is 31.08% of my 2014 goal.
97:32:40 hours walked, which is 31.16% of my 2014 goal
14,503 total feet climbed (just finished climbing the equivalent of Mt. Whitney so far this year)
49,948 calories burned
 30.03% of the year has passed
I've walked on 88 of the 94 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.62% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty excited to do the whole 21 mile loop in a day ... with scenery eye candy all the way. This thing has terrific views of West Temple, Kolob Terrace, Gooseberry Mesa, the Virgin River canyon between La Verkin and Virgin ... and today's views of Gould's Wash looking into town. Glad to share the joy with you!

    ReplyDelete