"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, October 17, 2014

14-290


Tonight we had the "slightly expanded" classic La Verkin loop, this version coming in at 4.05 miles with 143 feet climbed in 1:16:47 hours.  Tortoise rating was 5.4 and calories burned were 634.  Please click below for a map and today's walking thought, from the October 1991 Jayne Malan address entitled "These Are Your Days", including how much she misses camp!

Cheerio!




2014 Stats:

826.45 miles walked, which is 82.56% of my 2014 goal.
260:57:59 hours walked, which is 83.38% of my 2014 goal
39,923 total feet climbed 
131,979 calories burned
79.55% of the year has passed

I've walked 23 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on September 20, and overall have walked on 236 of the 249 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.78% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells Tortoise that he is on track. Yes, this is more numbers than you are likely interested in, all Tortoise can say is he's really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because he doesn't do them every, every day.

And now for more of today's walking thought,

"When I was released as a stake Young Women president, I was surprised to find that it was camp that I missed most of all. I missed the fun and excitement of young women learning to appreciate the world around them, and the tender testimonies of those who had “never felt that way before.” I missed the young women I had grown to love. And I missed sleeping under the stars.
"There’s something magic about sleeping under the stars at a Young Women camp, especially on a dark night when there’s no moon and the stars are bright. It’s a perfect setting for quiet talks about things that matter most and for music. No matter how tired the girls may be, there’s music—little groups singing somewhere in the dark as they settle in for the night—and, at times, the faraway sound of a ukulele or guitar. I found that sleeping outside keeps one closer to the action when someone needs help or comfort or counsel in the middle of the night.
"It had been a night such as this that last year I went to camp. About the time the last tearful campers were tucked into bed and the camp was finally quiet, I noticed the first hint of morning in the sky. We had been looking for a place to hold a sunrise service, and because I was still awake, this seemed to be the perfect time to find it. So I slipped out of my sleeping bag and headed up a little trail through the trees. Coming up over a small rise, I found a grassy meadow where you could look out over the valley and the mountains to the north. I stood there for a long time watching the sky grow lighter and the clouds turn from grey to pink and then white."
I hear these words and it totally sounds like my sweetheart Willyne.

To watch, listen to, or read the full address, please visit https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1991/10/these-are-your-days?lang=eng #ShareGoodness

The tortoise is smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment