"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Thursday, January 27, 2011

21

9:00 Snack remaining 1/4 of a kefir shake, water, and vitamins

12:30 Medium bowl of oatmeal with yogurt and a banana and water

16:30 1 ounce of Blue Diamond smokehouse almonds and water

18:20 Day 31 walked 0.85 miles with my friend Terreeeblay the treadmill in 20 minutes; Series 2 total 17.68 miles in 7 hours 40 minutes.  Changed into my BYU shirt (thanks girls) and levis for the big game at 20:00.

19:30 Met Doug, he wanted to show me an awes new sandwich shop.  It's inside Fabulous Freddy's on Bluff.  It closed at 19:00.  Sadness befalls us.  We miss out on the latest, greatest place to get a pastrami sandwich in St. George.  (Something tells me the Hat and Jerry's (formerly Famous) Deli have still got these guys beat by a country mile, but we will see at a future time ...)  So we head to Tom's Deli ... also closed.  It's only 19:40 people, come on!

19:50 Can't read the drive through menu board at Jimmy John's so we go inside.  Doug points out that number 13 looks a lot like the sandwich I used to love to get at Togo's -- turkey and swiss with fresh avocado and all the veggies with mustard, hold the mayo, on whole wheat.  Only one difference, this one didn't have the turkey, it's their vegetarian special.  I love my scrubbers, but I do like a little lean meat to go along with it, especially when it's cold and I'm hungry.  (I was going to eat a black bean taco after terreeeblay, but Doug was persuasive :) and now I'm really hungry.  So ... I look up and down the board, can't find what I'm looking for and finally just ask if they will add turkey to the number 13 for me.  The girl at the counter doesn't miss a beat, just asks if that means I'd like the number 12.  I look again, sure enough, it's the identical sandwich with turkey.  I'm feeling like a real genius at this point, what can I say.  Got it on 7 grain bread, overall I'd give the sandwich an 8 on a scale of 10.  I'd rather have my thick, fresh, whole wheat demi-bun -- this bread was good but was a little dry and they emphasized the alfalfa sprouts a bit much, otherwise you're looking at a 9.5, and that only because I don't believe in giving 10s unless you've just done the five dollar lawn.  (you've probably heard me quote the five dollar lawn story a zillion times already, I like it so much, but just in case, here's one of several places you can find it now (it was originally published in Reader's Digest in 1958) http://emp.byui.edu/SmithS/GradingTheCountessandtheImpossible.htm)

20:00 Actually I was getting ahead of myself.  We bought the sandwiches and went back to Doug's house to eat them with a few baked potato chips and water while watching BYU play San Diego State in basketball.  The game totally lived up to its hype.  I loved everything about it.  OK, I didn't know who Jimmer was until a few hours before game time, but he's the real deal.  Both teams played great.  They play each other again in 4 weeks in San Diego, and even though BYU looked good tonight, they are going to have to play the best game they have to beat San Diego a second time on their home court.  And they just might, so that will be a great one to look forward to ... although it's tax season and I've told Doug one game for the month of February, so we'll see which one he'll choose ... :)  It was also exciting  ...
  • watching it with Doug
  • feeling the excitement of the full house in the Marriott Center (reminded me of a game I went to with Sarah and Rachel when they were students there, there is just an amazing energy level there)
  • seeing BYU actually playing good D (you know what I say about how important that is, and how often I get disappointed)
  • watching the team work for Jimmer and be excited when he made all those amazing shots (he scored 43 of BYU's 71 points in the 71-58 win)
  • watching Jimmer be humble in the interviews afterwards and give credit to the team for their hard work and good screens
Thanks, Doug for a fun evening together!

2 comments:

  1. Way fun night; thanks for coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for both the sandwich and your good company, Doug! I surprised myself how excited I got once the game got going ... rise and shout the Cougars are out!

    ReplyDelete