"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, July 7, 2012

3-68

The dark volcanic rocks ahead make a pretty contrast to the blue sky and the
almost white dry grass  just a quarter  mile up the La Verkin Overlook Trail

Finished my last dose of antibiotics today.  I think Floryne was right, I was at least bordering on going from a virus to pneumonia.  The congestion was deep and is just today finally seeming to mostly be past.  Yea!  To quote Darin, I "derecommend" sickness as a weight loss technique, and we will see if the tortoise can keep it off as health returns.  With that said, my weekly weigh-in this morning was 252.6, down 4.5 pounds over the past week, and 17.2 pounds total for chapter 3 -- my recommitment since May 1.

I basically repeated last Saturday's walk today ... another attempt to increase lung capacity.  I am beginning to believe my lifetime of dealing with serious allergies had even more impact on me than I thought ... so I need to work harder to get enough air to do the everyday things I want to do.  So ... today I went 1.38 miles    in 42 minutes, climbing 312 feet in the process.  It was my first HumanaFit rated category 4 climb, which is interesting since last Saturday was rated category 3.  Tortoise rating:  1.8.  (Please continue reading to see a couple more pictures, map, and other details of the day)

The difference must have been the additional relatively flat distance walked to the trailhead (last week I was already in the car doing errands, and I parked at the trailhead).

Chapter 3 totals are 67.42 miles walked in 26 hours 52 minutes, with 3,898 feet climbed, and 11 swims totalling 4,240 meters in 4 hour 34 minutes.  Here's a map:

   
Find more Walk in La Verkin, UT

The trail gets steeper as the walk continues

The panoramic views back downhill start almost immediately after the climb begins
Eating today, including net calories after deducting exercise:  


 2,458  1,585  571  1,014
Food ItemServingsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
Whole Wheat Bread1.00901g0mg190mg18g3g3g0g
Dairy Queen Chicken Salad, Grilled, No Dressing1.0028011g75mg890mg14g8g4g31g
Kraft Kraft Free Raspberry Vinaigrette Fat Free Dressing1.00400g0mg380mg9g9g0g0g
Seeds Sunflower1.0020518g0mg1mg7g1g4g8g
Sunrise Energy Bars1.001306g10mg75mg17g10g2g2g
Homemade Lasagna1.0045018g0mg0mg40g10g5g40g
Western Family Oatmeal Old Fashioned1.001503g0mg0mg27g0g4g5g
Mountain High Fat Free Plain Yogurt0.70840g4mg126mg13g12g0g8g
Birds Eye Frozen Ultimate Berry Medley0.50350g0mg10mg3g3g3g1g
Banana, large1.001211g0mg1mg31g17g4g2g
FitnessMinutesCals Burned
Hiking - climbing hills, under 10 lb load42.0-571.0
TotalsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
1,01457g89mg1,673mg178g73g28g97g


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/#ixzz1zzgJECGy



Today's last word ...


I receive a daily inspirational message from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.   President Thomas S. Monson reminds me of how blessed I have been in my life to be able to pray in these powerful words:



"Not a day has gone by that I have not communicated with my Father in Heaven through prayer. It is a relationship I cherish—one I would literally be lost without. If you do not now have such a relationship with your Father in Heaven, I urge you to work toward that goal. As you do so, you will be entitled to His inspiration and guidance in your life."   (General Conference Address, October 2011, Sunday morning session)


You can subscribe to this free service also, click here for information.




Cheerio!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the powerful quote. Great words of wisdom to apply in my life. -amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Amie, glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been a few days since I've been able to check personal emails and your blog, but wanted to congratulate you on yet another Saturday with a climb up the La Verkin lookout trail! The tortoise certainly appears to be picking up steam, and your weightloss and overall health since May shows it. Hope you enjoy your Magical Mystery Tour, and look forward to reading about the tortoise's adventures while crossing the country...love!

    ReplyDelete