"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, January 24, 2014

14-24


Raise your hands high ... if you knew this park was on Washington Fields Road where it crosses the Virgin River.  I didn't either until today.  The fellow and his child are enjoying fishing.  The gazebo can seat a good crowd on it picnic table, beyond which is a large parking lot where I began my walk, looking for the connection to the Virgin River Trail in St. George.  I found it, pretty much where I expected it, but had been hoping it would stay closer to the river.

Let me explain.  The Virgin River Trail in St. George is part of the Three Rivers Trail system, which is beginning to connect cities along the Virgin River beyond St. George.  Very exciting for someone on the lookout for new places to see and walk.  This section is also called the Millcreek Trail.  It meets 3050 East in St. George (known by most locals as the road to Costco) pretty much at the point it turns and becomes Riverside Drive.  If you want to continue on the Virgin River Trail, the disappointing part to me is you have to follow the sidewalk on Riverside Drive about a half mile (I haven't measured it yet, this is my guess at this point) to Waterfront Drive.  Walk Waterfront Drive around the corner and the Virgin River trailhead is clearly marked on the south side of the street between 2670 and 2700 East.  At that point it becomes a popular, well marked path again.

As for today's walk, it was 3.35 miles with 55 feet climbed in 55:55 minutes.  Tortoise Rating:  6.1.  Calories burned:  538.

For a map and several more pictures, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

Trail is about to go under the Washington Fields Rd. bridge over the Virgin River



You can clearly tell when you leave Washington and enter St. George,
near the city electricity plant







You need to know where to look for the trail off of 3050 East or Riverside Drive
Just to the left of the power generating facility sign

Is the start of the trail
2014 Stats:

73.19 miles walked, which is 7.32% of my 2014 goal.
23:29:36 hours walked, which is 7.51% of my 2014 goal
  3,282 total feet climbed
11,558 calories burned 
6.71% of the year has passed.
I've walked on 20 of the 21 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 95.2% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

 The tortoise is smiling!

4 comments:

  1. I can not raise my hand, I rely on you to teach me where all these awes walking paths are. I love it :) So many gems, and you've already walked 73 miles this year!! The tortoise is smiling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having fun discovering new walking paths most days. It has turned what could be mundane into a game. Thanks for playing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can raise both my hands high! Been there many times and actually on that trail believe it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awes, Doug! Which direction did you go on the trail from the park -- back towards St. George or headed into the canyon?

    ReplyDelete