"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, January 29, 2014

14-29


So ... I had about an hour and fifteen minutes to get in my walk after finishing work and before heading to my third of three introductory classes at the local family history center, not all of which would be in daylight.  I really enjoyed picking up a little incline along the way yesterday (felt similar afterwards to the way I feel when I eat an especially fine plate of "scrubbers") and wanted to do something like that again today.

The result was 1.29 miles from the Parley P. Pratt memorial at the end of Hurricane Main Street, down to the Virgin River on the Confluence View Trail then looping back up the aptly named Tortoise Path back to my car.  This was followed by driving to the family history center and walking a 2.10 mile round trip on Hurricane State Street.  Totals:  3.39 miles with 367 feet climbed in 1:08:40 hours.  Tortoise rating on the 0.83 mile uphill portion:  1.9.  (Average grade there was 8.4%.  This probably has something to do with the name "Tortoise Path" ha ha)  Calories burned:  576.

It would be fun to see in the comments how many of you can remember walking with me on either of a couple of Confluence Park paths on the La Verkin side of the river that are visible in the picture above ...

Please click below to continue reading for maps and another picture.

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit






Looking up, up, up the Tortoise Path



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit


2014 Stats:

86.20 miles walked, which is 8.62% of my 2014 goal.
27:36:19 hours walked, which is 8.82% of my 2014 goal
  4,328 total feet climbed
13,636 calories burned 
7.99% of the year has passed.
I've walked on 24 of the 25 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 96.0% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

 The tortoise is smiling!

3 comments:

  1. Yes!!! I love that I can raise my hand and say I have basked on this trail with you, good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i raise mine as well, i think we've done this a few times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good memories, I love that peaceful place, especially when I get to go there with Rachel, Benjamin, and my other children and grandchildren!

    ReplyDelete