"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Thursday, January 30, 2014

14-30


Church Rocks.  If you live in Washington County, Utah, you have no idea how many times you have passed within feet of this place but never saw it because it was hidden just behind a ledge as you zipped by on the nearby freeway.  I didn't either until I got looking at a map of the Coral Canyon neighborhood trails and noticed that one seemed to connect with several trails in the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve.  So for my after work walk today, I went looking to see if I could find what the map was showing me.  It's beautiful!

Today's totals:  2.84 miles with 479 feet climbed in 58:01 minutes.  Tortoise rating on the uphill half of the walk:  2.9.  Calories burned:  496.  For a map and more pictures, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

Couple of footnotes:  These maps make it look like I somehow ran across the freeway.  No way.  There is a tunnel under the freeway at that point!  As a caution, don't enter the tunnel when it is raining, as it also serves as a storm drain, and I imagine it can fill quickly.  This is the desert, after all.

Ever wonder where that trail along the freeway that heads up to
the water tank just past Coral Canyon?  Now you know!

View headed down from the water tank towards the tunnel under the freeway.
(The paved trail ends at the top of the hill when you reach the water tank.)

Also, my phone battery died at the turnaround point of this walk.  I studied the elevation graph and believe there was probably close to the same amount of climbing on the return trip, although most of it comes in one steep push shortly after going under the freeway the second time.  I reduced the mileage by 0.2 to reflect my use of a trail connecting two other trail segments on the way back since daylight was about to leave me.  Normally I don't care if I take the long way because I enjoy the fresh air and exercise.  I used clock time to measure the return trip at 25 minutes compared with 33 on the way out.  I walked faster on the now familiar return path.  Made for a great workout on that steep portion.  Let's just say that I got "well winded".



2014 Stats:

89.04 miles walked, which is 8.90% of my 2014 goal.
28:34:20 hours walked, which is 9.13% of my 2014 goal
  4,807 total feet climbed
14,132 calories burned 
8.31% of the year has passed.
I've walked on 25 of the 26 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 96.15% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

 The tortoise is smiling!

5 comments:

  1. I'd like to go on this trail with you awes

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's got a lot of hills, but it's really pretty. Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Straight magical mystery material here friend, love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you were just looking at your maps. Total dad move, awes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Rachel: You know it! Should have posted that tune on the post, definitely was the day for it! Could you handle a nice long magical mystery walk with the tortoise ... you know it!!! @Becca: Love your Ireland wings as your Google icon! And you know you love me looking at maps and exploring new places to walk ... after all, if you go check my top ten most popular posts in the right column here at the Terreeeblay blog, which post is the all time number one! Still love that picture, and the memories!

    ReplyDelete