"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Monday, March 10, 2014

14-69



Welcome, Spring ... at least it feels like it!  I was able to start a walk at 7:30 pm after a long work day, and still see budding, blooming trees.  A very nice, 4.36 mile walk, with 151 feet climbed, in 1:18:34 hours.

It was also the day I passed 200 miles for the year, in honor of that, and because I have been walking but not posting, if you will be kind enough to click below to continue reading, I will share some pictures from the past week's walks when I have been in travel mode ...

Cheerio!

March 3:  The Strand in Hermosa Beach, from the pier north to the Manhattan Beach line





March 4 - Oak Valley Trail in Bear Valley Springs near Tehachapi, in Kern County, CA


March 5 - Solvang, in Santa Barbara County, CA

Got to walk with my Uncle Wally today.  Danish architecture is nice too!



Had a too brief, but very nice, visit with Wally & Kathy

Later on March 5 I walked on Judy & Larry's horse ranch in Paso Robles,
San Luis Obispo County, CA.  Amazing where doing tax returns
and long friendships can take you!

March 6 was my 3rd missed day for 2014.  I was right back at it the next day.
This is a trail along the Weber River in Riverdale (Weber County), UT.

March 8 - Had breakfast and walked with Benjamin in Springville, UT.
He's lost some weight and looking good!

I walked a mile and a half with Benjamin, then stopped on my way home

to do another mile and a half checking out the ghost town of Sulphurdale,
in Beaver County, UT



The residents were gone by 1975, but there is clearly still activity here,
producing electricity.

And I-15 has a full offramp (129) for it, along with a "No Services" warning.
2014 Stats:

201.06 miles walked, which is 20.11% of my 2014 goal.
63:55:31 hours walked, which is 20.42% of my 2014 goal
10,379 total feet climbed
32,556 calories burned 
18.85% of the year has passed.
I've walked on 56 of the 59 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.92% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for catching us up! Love the pictures and how well the tortoise is doing even in the thick of tax season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uncle Wally!! Benjamin looks awesome, and the walks on the beach look so bask worthy, and your endless creativity with walking paths is legend. Tortoise is dominating, love it friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! Benjamin really is looking good! Just curious, Rachel, had you ever seen a picture of Uncle Wally before or just heard about him through your wonderful true story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this might be my first picture of Uncle Wally!

      Delete