"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, April 2, 2014

14-92


How does that Willie Nelson song go ... oh, yes, back on the road again.  I'm in the two week home stretch before the ides of April when I'm on the road much more than I'm at home.  Last night it was work past midnight getting tax returns from the last two trips checked and submitted for processing by my office before leaving again.  Then drive to Salt Lake (where I will have appointments when I return tomorrow night) to catch a 6 am flight to Reno (with a plane change at McCarran on the way).  Sleep on the plane.  Middle seat?  No problem, pure snooze. I woke up both times in the same position I fell asleep in, so hopefully I was a reasonably okay neighbor to those on either side of me ...

Once in Reno
I had a couple hours of phone calls and messages to return.  Did that, then rented a Jetta (you never know what you will get when you play rental car roulette and order a compact car, but I liked this one), and headed down the new Interstate 580 (basically following the path of one of my favorite roads anywhere, US 395) fifty miles south past Carson City to Gardnerville and my yearly trip to work on Jim and Val Prather's taxes.

A few hours into that project, Jim comes in to point out that there is only about an hour of sunlight left and if I want my walk, I'd best be going for it.  Good move, it energized me enough to keep going a few more hours after that.  Nothing like walking briskly uphill in cool, crisp Sierra air to do that for you!

There's a gated community of homes with a nice view called Job's Peak Ranch that is a mile or so up the mountain from the Prathers, so I set out for that.  The picture above gives you an idea, there's a few more a little further down this post.  Total walk was 3.41 miles with 351 feet climbed in 1:01:10 hours.  Tortoise rating:  3.7.  Calories burned:  530.


Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

The Jetta parked near Jamba Juice where I got some oatmeal and bananas
to go along with their latest berry concoction (I pretty much like all of them).
This car got me better than 40 mpg, which got my attention ...

The view along Carterville Road on the walk towards Job's Peak Ranch

An attempt to picture some cows for Benjamin and the Sierras for my nephew
in Georgia who thinks it is just the name of the latest cool brew.

The view of the Carson River Valley as I head back down
2014 Stats:

270.15 miles walked, which is 27.02% of my 2014 goal.
84:35:29 hours walked, which is 27.03% of my 2014 goal
12,657 total feet climbed
43,590 calories burned
 25.24% of the year has passed
I've walked on 74 of the 79 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.67% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


The tortoise is smiling!

Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. Those mountains look delightful! Your picture skills have definitely gone up a notch :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Becca. And those mountains ARE delightful. I would love to show them to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete