"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Thursday, April 3, 2014

14-93


About 3 miles from the Prather's home is a network of nice trails in the adjacent national forest that straddle the Nevada/California state line.  I walked 3.25 miles of these in 1:04:44 hours, climbing 308 feet in the process.  Tortoise rating:  3.8.  Calories burned:  509.  For more pictures, a map, and more, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit


The first two pictures are the signs at the trailhead



At a quarter mile I reach the state line.  Maybe the quietest, least lit, passing of
the California-Nevada line I've ever traversed.  Certainly no Whiskey Pete's!
I like this.

You want a positive story about my father?  He could go on and on about the
motivating and amazing efforts that Pony Express mailman Shoeshoe Thompson
would do to make sure the mail was delivered, even over Sierra snowdrifts much deeper
than a person.  Week in and week out.  So I smiled when I saw this trail sign!

I love southern Utah trails and scenery, but I wish they would take a page
from the book of Sierra trail signs.  Much more informative and easier to read.
I went to the right today.


Occasionally you can even find a little water in the desert mountains of the West.
Little admittedly being the key word, which makes it so exciting when you see it!
And its sound rolling over the rocks is wonderful too.


Turn a random corner in the woods and you see the valley and its homes again.  ;-)



The walk ended a little after 10 am.  By 5 pm I had finished my work in Nevada,
driven the 50 miles back to the airport, and flown the first leg back to Salt Lake.
This time I got to change planes in green, rainy, Portland, Oregon.  Nice day.
2014 Stats:

273.40 miles walked, which is 27.34% of my 2014 goal.
85:40:13 hours walked, which is 27.37% of my 2014 goal
12,965 total feet climbed
44,099 calories burned
 25.56% of the year has passed
I've walked on 75 of the 80 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.75% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. So many gems in this one. I think my fav is at the end when you talked about the purposes of percentages :)

    ReplyDelete