"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Thursday, May 1, 2014

14-121


My best walk of the day was to go the Dixie (State University) Awards with Jacob, Hilary, and Jacob's drama mentor, Kris Davies.  Jacob's work designing costumes for two plays was on display, and it was really great fun and satisfaction to feel his passion for what he is doing.  So many thanks to Hilary for supporting Jacob through this and to Kris for pushing Jacob to experience just how far he can go with this!  I was honored to be invited to celebrate their joy with them, although neither Jacob nor Kris got the award of the night for which they were nominated, they are both winners for sure!

I didn't measure this walk, there are no statistics that could capture it!  Earlier in the day I got the oil changed in my car and went for a 3.67 mile walk to the Parley P. Pratt memorial at the west end of LaVerkin's Center Street, then down into Confluence Park, climbing 340 feet in 1:10:36 hours.  Roadrunner was done well before the walk was complete, and I appreciate their patience with me in picking up my car after my walk!  Tortoise rating was 4.4; calories burned were 574.

Lots more pictures of both walks, along with a map and more, await you if you click the link below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

Looking down the road descending into Confluence Park

Decided to check out the LaVerkin Creek Trail today

Which I could have gone either direction on at this junction.  I went left today.

La Verkin Creek through the trees.  In this dry country, we are thankful
for even small amounts of moisture, and its beauty!




Past the merger of La Verkin Creek with the Virgin River, the trail rejoins
the longer Confluence Trail.  I followed it a short distance and then
headed back up towards my waiting car.

A small new development, Independence Point, is on its way

Returning to our fine evening, the big moment has arrived to announce the awards!

You'll have to trust me that this was Jacob's picture as he was announced
as one of the nominees!

Jacob, along with his mentor Kris, were kind enough
to want me to join them for a picture after the awards.
Such a great evening, Thank You!

And now for our standard conclusion, my latest 2014 cumulative walking stats:

347.03 miles walked, which is 34.70% of my 2014 goal.
108:16:33 hours walked, which is 34.59% of my 2014 goal
16,074 total feet climbed 
55,806 calories burned
 33.23% of the year has passed
I've walked on 98 of the 104 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.23% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

3 comments:

  1. I agree, this was a good walk to do. Hooray for Jacob's awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry I can't get past the line "I didn't measure this walk, there are no statistics that could capture it"...this is coming from the person that made a map of their walk of Walmart to include that in the daily count!!! made me smile, and hooray for Jacob, fun night for sure

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to focus on Jacob and not the distance from my car in the far reaches of the parking lot to the awards ceremony. I know that seems a bit unusual for me, but then I love being full of surprises! And I had a really good time with Jacob and Hilary!

    ReplyDelete