"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Monday, May 5, 2014

14-125


Made an unexpected drive to Washington towards the end of the work day and took the opportunity to check out some more of the Red Cliffs Desert Reserve trails just off Interstate 15 at exit 13 on my way home.   Today I used the Grapevine trail to access the Dino Cliffs trail and headed out as far as I could go in thirty-some minutes, then retraced my steps back to the car.  Some fun views along the way ... if you open the picture above up and look at it carefully full screen, you can see Coral Canyon, the block H in Hurricane, and the mountains of Zion Park beyond.  I went 3.59 miles with 269 feet climbed in 1:09:16 hours.  Tortoise rating:  4.0; calories burned:  561.

Please click below for a map and more pictures ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

I knew this would be a nice walk right away when I saw these
pretty purple flowers that made me think of Willyne.

About a mile in the Dino Cliffs trail heads out to the left.

In some places the trail blends right into the red rocks.
Thank goodness for the rocks stacked on top of each
other to show you the way.


The view beyond as I reach today's turnaround point.

A couple mountain bikers were also really enjoying this trail.
2014 Stats:

357.60 miles walked, which is 35.76% of my 2014 goal.


111:38:13 hours walked, which is 35.67% of my 2014 goal
16,536 total feet climbed 
57,572 calories burned
 34.19% of the year has passed
I've walked on 101 of the 107 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.39% consistency rating.

Weigh-in this morning:  235.6, unchanged from a week ago.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

3 comments:

  1. First off I love that you sign off Cheerio. I know I've commented about this before, but it still gets me.

    Secondly, I love how an unexpected trip to Washington turned into this. Magically Mystery Tour at its finest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I couldn't see any of those things you said to look for, but it looks like home, so good enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca, there are very few things in life I love more than a good magical mystery tour, and it's one thing that I can count on to make my walks seem short! Rachel, I would love to take you to the spot in person and show you these gems from home. I also love that just the fact it looks like home makes it good enough for you!

    Thank you both so much for giving this record of my walking adventures 20 minutes or so of your time this evening. Your comments warm my heart -- thank you again!

    ReplyDelete