"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, May 24, 2014

14-144

Business is done for this trip.  Headed back home to Utah today.  On the way to the airport, I continued my walk up the path where the Strand in Manhattan Beach and the Marvin Braude Bike Path that goes from Santa Monica to Torrance are side by side, respectively loaded with pedestrians and bicyclists.  I went from 34th Street in Hermosa Beach the short distance to Manhattan Beach, all the way through that community to where the Strand ends at the El Segundo city line.  I'd like to do the whole 23 miles in segments, but the next segment is marked for bicycles only, so I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to walk on the sand next to the path or some variation on that theme.

But I'm getting ahead of myself.  Today I walked 5.2 miles round trip with 104 feet climbed in 1:31:10 hours.  I babied the battery and it made it the whole walk this time!  Tortoise rating was 6.6, but for the third straight day the 5 mile distance gave us the 5th Benjamin category override to an even 5.0 Tortoise rating. (and third day in a row!) Calories burned:  808.  For a map and more, please click below to continue reading ...



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

2014 Stats:

407.43 miles walked, which is 40.70% of my 2014 goal.
126:53:34 hours walked, which is 40.54% of my 2014 goal
19,000 total feet climbed 
65,325 calories burned
 39.62% of the year has passed
I've walked on 115 of the 124 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 92.74% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

I parked about 3 blocks from the beach, this is my view as I start out.


Bicycles on the left, foot traffic on the right.








Lots of ways to exercise along the way





Quite a contrast just past the end of the Strand in Manhattan Beach
and the industrial plants along the beach in El Segundo.

But the beach is still inviting

Turn around at the same point, and your view becomes this.



I thought this roller skating mom with her stroller was pretty ingenious



Doug Jr, if you're still reading this far down the post, this is for you.
The first teriyaki bowl since Spikes closed that I can say is its equal.
This one is a mixture of beef, chicken, and veggies.  Yum!


And here's where you get it ... several locations throughout southern California.  

No comments:

Post a Comment