"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, May 23, 2014

14-143

After my last client meeting today in southern California's Inland Empire, I headed to the Pacific Electric trail crossing of Euclid Avenue in Upland and started walking to the beginning of the trail at Claremont Avenue. Totals for today were 6.83 miles with 86 feet climbed in 2:03:04 hours.  Tortoise rating:  6.4, but being over five miles gives us our fourth Benjamin category override to 5.0.  Calories burned:  1,063.  There's a map and more waiting for you if you click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!

Here's a map of most of my walk.  For the second day in a row, my batteries would not survive this long a walk and died with about a mile to go, so I calculated how much farther I walked based on my pace and the amount of additional time I walked.  I did it so that if I was off a little, it would be on the side of I walked at least as far as I'm saying I did, if not a little more.



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit
2014 Stats:

402.23 miles walked, which is 40.18% of my 2014 goal.
125:22:24 hours walked, which is 40.06% of my 2014 goal
18,896 total feet climbed 
64,517 calories burned
 39.30% of the year has passed
I've walked on 114 of the 123 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 92.68% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!





2 miles to the start of the trail

Perhaps you will recognize this.  In those buildings is the former offices of
Consulting Controllers (a name Doug Jr still wishes I used) at 1137 West
9th Street in Upland



I thought Benjamin would enjoy this one ... a large yard filled
with First Student buses.




Another place Doug Jr or Josh might recognize ... the initial
location Jorge's Final Finish Detail, and the first non-Zee
client signed up in the early days of Consulting Controllers.
You have to look closely to the left to see the "Central
Avenue Workshops"


This trail has two similarities to the Minuteman Trail in the Boston area.
Both are converted railroad tracks, and both serve commuters bicycling
to a transportation hub.  The one pictured above is in Montclair and
includes a Metrorail station and major transfer points between two
regional commuter bus services.  Love it!

Another fine walking bridge approaches.




The lampposts on the trail are numbered.  PET is the initials for Pacific
Electric Trail ... and this is the first lamppost.



The signal light marks the San Bernardino-Los Angeles county line
at Claremont Avenue, a few houses past the end of the trail.
Of course, we had to walk across the street to pick that up ...
and see the start of a new path to me, the Citrus Trail.




This evening I headed to the temple in Los Angeles.
Lots of good memories here.

The view before going in

And after


2 comments:

  1. Back to back days outwalking the battery is pure torch! Loved the pictures of both days and love the override!

    ReplyDelete