"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Tuesday, June 10, 2014

14-161

One of the ways the tortoise has been trying to step up his game in 2014 is to establish a minimum standard of two miles walking to count it as a walking day.  In past years, if life was especially busy, I might try to get away with saying that 30 round trips throughout the office to the copier, the bano, the filing cabinet, etc. was good for a half mile walk in ten minutes.  Seeing as how the whole point of this effort is to keep el padre alive and his ticker ticking brilliantly, somewhere a few months ago I came up with this two mile minimum idea as a way to do that.  At the time, I had only counted one 2014 walk that was less, back on March 4 on the Oak Valley Trail in Kern County, California, when my phone battery was dead and I walked a little over a half hour on a hilly trail, so I estimated 1.5 miles in 30 minutes and recorded that.  (You can read about it in this memorable (i.e. not meeting terreeeblay's boredom standard) post describing the walks of the week of March 3-8 when I was in travel mode all over the place.  Just click here:  http://terreeeblay.blogspot.com/2014/03/14-69.html

Fast forward to today, another day where I find myself trying to cram twenty-five hours of activity into a mere twenty-four hour day
(another sidenote:  for many years there was a coffee shop at the top of California's Cajon Pass with a big sign proclaiming it was open twenty-five hours a day.  It was always good for a mota smile from mr. tortoise.)  At 8 pm, there was no let up in the action and another unacceptable "no walk" day was looming on the horizon.  Willyne was going to come by and help me at the office for an hour after her Girls' Camp preparation activity ended at the house, I wasn't sure exactly when, so I set out for a walk around the block thinking that I just might get it done, and if I needed to zip back quickly so as not to waste her time, I wouldn't be too far away.

I managed to get in 0.8 miles on that one, leaving me with the need to pick up another mile and a quarter later on, which you will see on the map below that I did.  Totals:  2.11 miles with 53 feet climbed in 38:24 minutes.  Tortoise rating:  5.9; calories burned:  457.


Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

446.38 miles walked, which is 44.59% of my 2014 goal.
138:38:54 hours walked, which is 44.30% of my 2014 goal
20,739 total feet climbed 
71,406 calories burned
 44.09% of the year has passed
I've walked on 127 of the 138 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 92.03% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

The tortoise did get in some alternative exercise earlier in the day
in addition to his segmented walks.  Apricot picking, yum!

I liked this sunset view, so after depositing a bag in the trash bin,
 I headed this direction to start my walk.

4 comments:

  1. Love the two mile minimum, tortoise stepping up his game :) hope things calm down a little for you soon friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm training one new employees and interviewing to fill another, so that will be a ways in to the future, but the hope lives on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Apricot picking seems a little early and you could use walking back and forth in the orchard as an extra push to the 2 miles if you ask me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those apricots are reaaaally good with cool whip on Willyne's waffles made with her spiffy new waffle maker!

    ReplyDelete