"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, June 13, 2014

14-164



I presented a bid this morning, always an exciting thing, and then headed to St. George to participate in the memorial service for my friend and associate, Bruce Stringham.  I worked with him ten years, and you think you get to know someone in that time.  For example, I knew he loves to sing.  A lot.  Still you always get fun tidbits at times like these, like his love for horses.  Never would have guessed!

After the service I changed clothes and walked on the Santa Clara River Trail before heading back to Hurricane.  The battery died with a quarter mile to go, so I've improvised a little, but I believe it is fair to say I walked 4.46 miles with 101 feet climbed in 1:27:00 hours.  Tortoise rating:  5.8; calories burned:  693.  For a map and more pictures, please click below ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness





Jacob and Hilary, I smiled for you here



You cross this bridge to go under the bridge on the other side :-)











A beautiful tribute to our brave soldiers at Tonaquint Cemetery











2014 Stats:

457.17 miles walked, which is 45.67% of my 2014 goal.
142:01:57 hours walked, which is 45.38% of my 2014 goal
20,943 total feet climbed 
73,085 calories burned
 45.05% of the year has passed
I've walked on 130 of the 141 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 92.20% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

5 comments:

  1. Sorry again about Bruce friend :) and is this the path I keep asking about that I want to walk with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sorry again that I didn't know about the funeral Awes as I would have been there with you. Bruce was a great man, much like yourself, and he will definitely be missed. Been on these stretches of trail a few times myself, and always fun. The nature center at Tonaquint is really awesome, in fact that is where we had our last family pictures taken a year or so ago. Kate loves to go and snag some grapes from the vine :) Love and congrats to the Tortoise for the awes consistency!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simple walks to and from work but this blog always gets a citation from the boredom comity when you take your walks out of town. The pictures, the length just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about Bruce too. :(

    Curious what u made a bid on in st George?!

    I love u dad. Happy Father's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow ... 4 of you joining me in this conversation ... tortoise is really loving this!

    Rachel, yes this trail is near the one you have requested, and starts at the same trailhead at Confluence Park just under the new Dixie Drive underpass from the convention center. You can walk in 5 different directions from this one trailhead, which is really nice! As a side note, don't confuse this Confluence Park from the 300+ acre version where Toquerville's Ash Creek, La Verkin Creek, and the Virgin River all meet and I regularly walk because it is a convenient escape to open nature when you live in the tri-city area :-)

    Josh, I know your heart was there, sorry my messages didn't reach you. I was actually thinking about your crew when I walked by the Nature Center because it looked like something y'all would enjoy. (Yes, the westerner tortoise just used the famous family and Southern contraction y'all, it's all good with Mr. Tortoise.)

    Benjamin, what is my count of red cards at this point. My new mast head should be good for one too, I'm serious about collecting 10 of them from the Committee!

    Sarah, the bid was on work for Housley Steel Design here in Hurricane. I presented the bid, then headed into St. George. I do have a variety of St. George area businesses I work with, including Chris Michel's custom gun shop, a carpet cleaning service, an anesthesiology nursing business, among others, and would welcome the opportunity to bid on more ...

    ReplyDelete