"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, June 14, 2014

14-165


The trail goes where?

Yes, that's the trail marker on the other side of the river.  We need to ford it to continue walking.

I'm not fond of getting my boots wet, I guess I think they are going to shrink and I don't like the thought of that.  But this was an unusually nice day.  The meterologists are calling it a cold front.  The projected high temperature today is 88, I guess compared with 103 that is a cold front and I'll take it every time!  And it was 67 and breezy at 7 am when I started walking, on its way to 73 as the walk continued.

So, off I went.  Fortunately the Virgin River is quite shallow in most places.  My shoes and socks were getting wet, and that was about it.  Then near the other side the sand bar disappeared and I got wet most of the way to my knees ... for two steps ... and then it was over and I continued along the Virgin River Trail and then up Tortoise Track to head back home.

Totals today:  3.63 miles with 394 feet climbed in 1:23:28 hours.  Tortoise rating:  4.0; calories burned:  609.  Please click below for a map and more pictures of today's magical mystery walk ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

I changed my intended path three times today, that makes it a Magical Mystery Walk, no?

There is a gorgeous full moon setting, not nearly as noticable
in this picture as it is in person.  But if you look below the tree
and above the white glow to the west, you can see it ...

We have cows ... and a horse.  Love walking in La Verkin in the morning.







That faint line headed up the hill is Tortoise Track.  Soon we will be walking up, up, up!

Across the river now


Always nice when you see a trail marker to confirm you're on track.

Leaving the Virgin River Trail, turning left on to Tortoise Track

Up, up, and away

Haven't checked out Basalt Trail yet.  Can't imagine it goes very far,
but the tortoise loves checking out new trails whether short or long.

Ready to turn left onto the Confluence View Trail

And back to city streets at the top of Hurricane's Main Street

At the memorial of Parley P. Pratt's 1849 exploration company visit

Can you see my street where this walk started?

It's flag day.  Go Navy!

It's a long way back down to the Virgin River on the way I usually cross it.



Grandpa picking apricots with his helpers after his walk


Good times!
 2014 Stats:

460.80 miles walked, which is 46.03% of my 2014 goal.
143:25:25 hours walked, which is 45.82% of my 2014 goal
21,337 total feet climbed 
73,694 calories burned
 45.37% of the year has passed
I've walked on 131 of the 142 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 92.25% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!

5 comments:

  1. If I see a trail marker on the other side of the river, I'm turning around friend, you straight torched that! And this so counts as a magical mystery walk, and love the pictures of the Ragozzines thrown in at the end. This post was packed with goodness, I'm guessing Benjamin is going to throw down a boring violation card again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admittedly, it has been far too long since I've actually visited the site Awes. Love getting the e-mail previews, and my apologies for not coming on to post in a while. You continue to be a wonderful example, especially as of late since I know how busy and difficult life has been. Don't let the doubts take control and end what the tortoise has come to love so much! We want and need you around for many more Saturdays, so keep adding those marbles to the jar rather than take them out. Much love to you dad, and hope you have a wonderful Father's Day! No one deserves it more!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be the ultimate citation for lack of boredom!! The tortoise adds true danger and defines magical mystery with this gem! As you are crossing the river I was and it kept creeping higher, I prepared for anything. Love this hike and love how you have maintained to stay ahead of your ambitious yearly goal.

    And to go off of what Josh was saying, thanks for setting such an awes example with this blog and what it represents. Love the consistent example and how you are taking care of yourself. The best Father anyone could ask for, thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm worried that my shoes will smell if I get them wet. Now I have a new fear of them shrinking. Pure torch. I sooo would have turned around and said nope. Way to go Papai :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've all warmed my heart with your very kind comments. Whether you can come visit here daily, yearly, or somewhere in between, I'm thankful that you take a few moments to do it and that you get enjoyment and inspiration from it.

    I certainly get enjoyment and inspiration from being your father. Thank you . Loves!

    ReplyDelete