"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, July 16, 2014

14-197









It was getting later and later, and no walk yet today, but lots and lots of fun with Doug Jr. and five of my grandchildren.  Among other activities, we played P.I.G. with the soccer net, generally without a goalie, but Roo loves being the goalie, so the game was continually improvised as we continued.  After much encouragement from Ledge I started my walk in circles around the field in between my turn to take shots on goal.  I detoured from the circles many other times ... just to be goofy grandpa.  Meanwhile the girls were swinging with vigor, and I took my circular walk over there as well.

Somewhat later after all the grandchildren had reached a state of slumber, Sarah went with me for another 2 miles to complete today's walk.  It totalled 3.75 miles with 99 feet climbed in 1:24:11 hours.  Tortoise rating on the 1 mile uphill portion was 5.1; calories burned:  624.  For several more pictures, a map, and commentary on the map, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!












Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness


I usually let the elevation chart at the bottom of each map speak for itself, but tonight I'm going to add some commentary, because it shows the three segments of the walk.  The initial three quarters of a mile was in large circles on our grassy field, which gradually climbs to the south and east and correspondingly drops to the north and west.  Each little blip in the first part of the elevation chart indicates one of my laps around the field.

When the games ended, there began to be activity in the cement area near the pool, during which I walked in circles there that totalled another mile. The elevation chart blips become smaller and closer together, to the point it almost looks flat.   

Next I headed inside while Sarah put her children in bed, and turned on the DVR to watch about 20 minutes of Tour De France, Day 3, and gloried in the views of Cambridge and the surrounding countryside.  Perhaps you should take clean living there, Benjamin, I had forgotten just how amazing it looks!  :-)

2014 Stats:

558.05 miles walked, which is 55.75% of my 2014 goal.
175:00:11 hours walked, which is 55.91% of my 2014 goal
25,198 total feet climbed 
89,154 calories burned
 54.31% of the year has passed
I've walked 39 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on May 31, and overall have walked on 158 of the 169 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.49% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

The tortoise is smiling!



4 comments:

  1. Way fun spontaneous magical mystery tour ������⚽⚽⚽⚽�� thanks awes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dedication of dad the awes- walk circles in the field!!! :)

    ReplyDelete