"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Monday, August 25, 2014

14-237


This morning's 3.65 mile walk took Tortoise through LaVerkin's confluence overlook neighborhood.  He climbed 83 feet along the way in 1:05:22 hours.  Tortoise rating was 5.6 and calories burned were 569.  For a map, a thought from a young looking Thomas S. Monson, and more, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

674.20 miles walked, which is 67.35% of my 2014 goal.
213:00:06 hours walked, which is 68.05% of my 2014 goal
31,742 total feet climbed 
107,553 calories burned
64.86% of the year has passed

I've walked 12 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on August 11, and overall have walked on 191 of the 203 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.09% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


"While driving to the office one morning, I passed a dry-cleaning establishment which had a sign by the side of the front door. It read, “It’s the Service That Counts.” I suppose in a highly competitive field such as the dry-cleaning business and many others, the differentiating factor which distinguishes one store from another is, in actual fact, service.
"The message from the small sign simply would not leave my mind. Suddenly I realized why. In actual fact it is the service that counts—the Lord’s service.
"All of us admire and respect that noble king of Book of Mormon fame—even King Benjamin. How respected he must have been for the people to gather in such great numbers to hear his words and receive his counsel. I think it most interesting that the multitude “pitched their tents round about the temple, every man having his tent with the door thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which king Benjamin should speak unto them.” (Mosiah 2:6.) Even a high tower had to be erected that the people might hear his words.
"In the true humility of an inspired leader, King Benjamin recounted his desire to serve his people and lead them in paths of righteousness. He then declared to them:
“Because I said unto you that I had spent my days in your service, I do not desire to boast, for I have only been in the service of God.
“And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” (Mosiah 2:16–17.)
"This is the service that counts, brethren—the service to which all of us have been called, the service of the Lord Jesus Christ."
-- Thomas S. Monson, October 1989 General Conference Priesthood Session, https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/10/the-service-that-counts?lang=eng#watch=video    #ShareGoodness
The tortoise is smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment