"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, August 27, 2014

14-239



There's less variety walking early in the morning, as Tortoise tends to stick to well-lit paths.  The payoff is increased consistency ... for instance, had he waited to walk yesterday until after work, he wouldn't have because it rained hard and the lightning was striking harder, and in every direction.  This morning was cool, 61 degrees, damp from a night of rain, but now clear so that the temperature continued to drop somewhat as the walk continued.  It made for a delightful 3.33 mile walk, with 67 feet climbed, in 57:05 minutes.  The tortoise rating was 5.7; calories burned were 517.

For a map, a thought from Dean L. Larsen, and more, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

680.78 miles walked, which is 68.01% of my 2014 goal.
214:51:12 hours walked, which is 68.64% of my 2014 goal
31,883 total feet climbed 
108,593 calories burned
65.50% of the year has passed

I've walked 14 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on August 11, and overall have walked on 193 of the 205 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.15% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


Tortoise enjoyed this from Dean L. Larsen while on today's walk ...
On the wall of the kitchen in our home hangs a clock. It’s a windup clock. That is, it is necessary every seven or eight days to wind up the mechanism with a key. If this is not done at regular intervals, the clock eventually begins to lose time; its chimes become sluggish and off-tone. Finally it stops until it is rewound again.
Sometimes when I am rewinding this clock, I think how good it would be if I could restore my physical powers to their youthful vigor in a manner as simple as this. I suppose increasing age sometimes brings these thoughts to all who move into the later years of life.
In some ways, and to some degree, I can effect a partial rejuvenation through exercise, rest, and proper nourishment. I realize, however, that my physical clock is gradually winding down. The mechanism becomes increasingly sluggish. The chimes are less vibrant and sometimes a little out-of-pitch. One day the clock will stop altogether, in spite of all my desire and effort to keep it going.
As I think of these sobering realities, there comes to mind another figurative clock that operates within me. It is my spiritual clock. It has some similarities to the physical one. It, too, needs regular winding to stay in time and keep its true tone. Unlike the physical clock, however, the spiritual one is not necessarily destined for dissolution. In fact, with proper attention and regular care it grows more vigorous—more perfect in its operation, more clear and resonant in its tones. But this is not an automatic process. Just as with the clock that hangs on our kitchen wall, unless there is a regular winding up of the mechanism, a spiritual sluggishness develops, the spiritual tone becomes off-key, and, unless something is done to correct the winding-down process, the clock can stop.
In the world’s environment today, spiritual clocks that do not receive regular attention can wind down very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment