"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Saturday, September 27, 2014

14-270


Ended the week with the classic LaVerkin loop walk on a cool, windy evening at the conclusion of two days of welcome rain.  Things are greener around here than I ever remember, sorry though that the rain and the accompanying thunder/lightning caused Riley and Ethan's futbol games to get cancelled -- I was looking forward to seeing their enthusiasm!

Doug Jr and Stefanie surprised me and took me to lunch at Sonny Boys, followed by two games of Risk (the first of which I managed to win after one of the 4 computer players knocked Doug out of the game and got me down to one army in one country.  Pretty amazing comeback.  Doug then got his just results in the next game, conquering all 4 computer players and then me in the same turn.  Wow!  We also listened to some retro 60s surf instrumental music I found on Pandora and just generally enjoyed talking.  Thanks, Stefanie and Doug!

That walk was 3.54 miles with 103 feet climbed in 59:48 minutes.  Tortoise rating was 5.5 and 559 calories were burned.  For a map and today's walking thought by Betty Jo Jepsen, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

766.71 miles walked, which is 76.59% of my 2014 goal.
241:53:50 hours walked, which is 77.28% of my 2014 goal
36,297 total feet climbed 
122,401 calories burned
74.12% of the year has passed

I've walked 6 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on September 20, and overall have walked on 219 of the 232 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.40% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


And now for today's walking thought from Betty Jo Jepsen,

"Kindness has many synonyms—love, service, charity. But I like the word kindness because it implies action. It seems like something you and I can do. Kindness can be shown in so many ways. My favorite examples of kindness come from what Jesus did. He spent his ministry searching for the weary, the sick, the poor, and the lonely, that he might show kindness toward them.

"No act of kindness is ever wasted. You cannot do a kindness too soon. Acting kindly can change the giver and the receiver for good."

To watch, listen to, or read her message in full, please visit https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/10/kindness-a-part-of-gods-plan?lang=eng #ShareGoodness

The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. Was way fun! Glad we were able to break into your crazy schedule and bask for a bit. Let's do it again. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is a time of day you can walk with me if I happen to be in St. George? There's some great places out there, and it feels as good as scrubbers!

    ReplyDelete