"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Tuesday, September 30, 2014

14-273


Where do you go to walk in Las Vegas that is well lit and reasonably secure at night, and isn't the Strip?  Tortoise's answer this evening was to walk 2.02 miles of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas campus.  Path was virtually flat with a few stairs climbed, totalling 18 feet, making the tortoise rating 6.2.  He burned 314 calories along the way.  For a map, more pictures, and today's walking thought from F. Burton Howard, please click below to continue reading ...



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

Hey, Doug Jr, look just east of campus down Tropicana on the map above and what do you see ... yes, the Pinball Hall of Fame.  I knew you would love that!



My dad, who worked at Hughes Aircraft in Culver City from 1952
to 1961 would smile to see this sign

And I know Jacob would find this building TOTALLY FABULOUS!!!
2014 Stats:

772.16 miles walked, which is 77.14% of my 2014 goal.
243:48:34 hours walked, which is 77.89% of my 2014 goal
36,574 total feet climbed 
123,295 calories burned
74.76% of the year has passed

I've walked 8 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on September 20, and overall have walked on 221 of the 234 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.44% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


Here's today's walking thought from F. Burton Howard in April 1991 ...

'In school yard game, young boys sometimes form circle, and one hits another on the shoulder and says, 'Pass it on.' 


'Many of us are like these schoolboys. Perhaps without realizing it, as adults we continue to play the   same childish game and risk far more than bruised shoulder in the process. Let me explain what I  mean.

'Unwillingness to accept the responsibility for and consequences of our actions is an all too common condition in today’s world.
"And to those who say, 'I may have done little wrong, but my purpose was good and believe God will justify my behavior,' my response is, 'Maybe so, but don’t count on it.' For in the 137th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, verse 9, we read:
“For I, the Lord, will judge all men according to their works, according to the desire of their hearts.”
"We need only remember pointless, irresponsible childhood game, and quietly walk away. Face up,   quit, get out, confess, apologize, admit the harm we have done, and just plain walk away.

"The danger in thinking that the end justifies the means lies in making a judgment we have no right to make."


To watch, listen to, or read the full message, please visit https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1991/04/repentance?lang=eng

I will mention in passing that I remember a stake conference in Corpus Christi, Texas when Elder Burton was our visiting general authority.  In a Saturday afternoon session for those working in elders' quorums, he gave us personal encouragement on improving our home teaching which I appreciated and have never forgotten.  

The tortoise is smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment