"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Tuesday, October 14, 2014

14-287


Sally, you'll be glad to know Tortoise walked the length of West Field Road in Toquerville after his meetings there this evening.  That's 4.23 miles with 314 feet climbed in 1:14:25 hours on this 4.6 tortoise rated path.  659 calories were burned.  Please click below to find a map and tonight's walking thought, including the immortal words of Gordon Hinckley, "Altogether too many men complain that their wives do not look the same as they did twenty years ago when they married them. To which I say, Who would, after living with you for 20 years?

Cheerio!




2014 Stats:

818.07 miles walked, which is 81.73% of my 2014 goal.
258:20:21 hours walked, which is 82.54% of my 2014 goal
39,639 total feet climbed 
130,667 calories burned
78.59% of the year has passed
I've walked 20 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on September 20, and overall have walked on 233 of the 246 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.72% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.

And now for more of today's walking thought, a classic closing talk in Priesthood Session reminding the men of "Our Solemn Responsibilities" ...

"When I think of these things, I feel like standing and shouting hallelujah. But more appropriately, I feel to kneel and say in humility, thanks be to God and His beloved Son, our Redeemer, for the growth of this Their work, and thanks be to my brothers and sisters, young and old, you who have been faithful and diligent in your duty in causing this to happen. This has been a joyful thing to observe.
"But during these ten years that I have served in the Presidency, I have also experienced much of sorrow. It is out of this experience that I wish to speak a little further. For a full decade now I have participated in the task of sitting in judgment on the worthiness of those who plead to come back into the Church after having been excommunicated. In every case there had been a serious violation of Church standards of conduct. In most cases there had been adultery, and in the majority of cases, husbands were the offenders. Disciplinary action had been taken against them. As months passed they longed for what they previously had. A spirit of repentance came into their hearts.
"As one of these men said to me: “I really never understood nor appreciated the gift of the Holy Ghost until it was taken from me.”
"I have spoken on three or four occasions to the women of the Church during the past ten years. I have received in response to these various talks a substantial number of letters. I have kept some of them in a file marked “Unhappy Women.”
"These letters have come from many areas. But they are all written in the same tone. 
"The problem is not new. I suppose it is as old as the human race. Certainly it existed among the Nephites. Jacob, brother of Nephi, speaking as a prophet to his people, declared: “For behold, I, the Lord, have seen the sorrow, and heard the mourning of the daughters of my people in the land of Jerusalem, yea, and in all the lands of my people, because of the wickedness and abominations of their husbands. …
“Ye have broken the hearts of your tender wives, and lost the confidence of your children, because of your bad examples before them; and the sobbings of their hearts ascend up to God against you.” (Jacob 2:31, 35.)
"Altogether too many men, leaving their wives at home in the morning and going to work, where they find attractively dressed and attractively made-up young women, regard themselves as young and handsome, and as an irresistible catch. They complain that their wives do not look the same as they did twenty years ago when they married them. To which I say, Who would, after living with you for twenty years?
To which Tortoise would say, let us sing once again and remember well "Come All Ye Sons Of God" and "Have I Done Any Good?".  Sure, the first song is a missionary song, but it's also about retention.  And that starts at home.  And the line in the second song, "then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansions above" is forever seared in Tortoise's soul.  And your mansions above are tied to your "clean living" right here and now.  OK, Tortoise will get off his soap box now.  He's just very passionate about this topic.  But fear not ...
this was an inspiring walk, and

The tortoise is smiling!

PS - You can watch, listen to, or read the full message by visiting https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1991/10/our-solemn-responsibilities?lang=eng

No comments:

Post a Comment