"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, October 25, 2013

13-298


The north end of the J.E.M. Trail is not nearly as well marked as the south end Just as you enter Virgin as you are driving east on Utah Highway 9, you pass an intersection where Mesa Rd. goes to the left and Sheep Bridge Rd. goes to the right.  I turned right there, drove the half mile to cross sheep bridge, then went another 0.1 mile across a cattle guard and immediately turned right on a narrow dirt road.  I followed this road for a quarter mile at the breakneck speed of 10 kilometers per hour, braking from the speed provided by idling the engine in order to safely navigate the many rocks on the road.  When the road ended at a makeshift parking area, I joined four other parked cars and looked for the trailhead.

There are no signs here.  If I hadn't been fortunate enough to see two mountain bikers finishing their ride, I would have looked for awhile to find the trail headed out of the northwest end of the parking area.  It then follows the ridge above the Virgin River for a short distance before beginning to follow side canyons.  (Please click below to continue reading my description, followed by a map, more pictures, and details of calories consumed and burned today)
At 1.4 miles I encountered my first trail marker confirming I was on the J.E.M. trail, followed by some welcome orange ribbons to show you where to follow the trail when it encounters a random dirt road where it is easier to see where not to go than where to go.  At 1.8 miles I reached the junction with the Rim Trail, which heads back to the Virgin River and the follows it west to the Highway 59 trailhead just above Hurricane.  I continued on the J.E.M. trail.  At 2.4 miles I reached a point where the climbing became more gradual, and I could see Sheep Bridge Road a very short distance across sparse sagebrush that I easily walked between leaving no trace in the dirt and touching no plants.  I made it a loop using Sheep Bridge Road to return to my car, thinking (correctly) that I could make better time on the road, and I was starting to lose sunlight.  Plus if I did need to use my headlamp in my 22 pound pack (I'm gradually drinking the water and eating the snacks) I thought I would be better off on the familiar surface of the road.  The total trip was 4.72 miles with 289 feet climbed in 1:38:13 hours.  Clear, calm, 72 degree weather.  Tortoise rating on the 2.41 mile uphill section:  4.8.  I had enough light to finish my walk without the head lamp, but would have needed it within 5 more minutes.


Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit


View east from the parking area

A popular place!

The trail begins.  The river is in the trees, the path is faint
 near the right side of the picture.

But soon it becomes clear where to walk


Nice view of the river



The first trail sign at 1.4 miles

View to the left at 1.4 miles


Markers directly ahead of the trail sign ... telling you not to go this way

Instead you are to go a short distance on this dirt road,
with only the orange ribbons to let you know this.


Don't go this way either, unless you'd like to be stopped by the gate ahead

Ahhh, back to a market trail!

More welcome orange ribbons, this time on a tall pole 

At 1.8 miles you can go right to follow the Rim trail to Hurricane

Or straight to continue following the JEM trail

Nice views looking back where I've come ... at 1.8 miles

View heading uphill on the JEM trail

Sun is disappearing fast, time to make a quick retreat

Nice view as I head down Sheep Bridge Road.  A close-up of
this is my title picture.

Looking back at the scrub and dirt I just crossed from the trail to the road


 2,277  2,125  748  1,377
Food ItemServingsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
Quaker Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Original1.001002g0mg75mg19g0g3g4g
Quaker Quaker Instant Oatmeal - Maple & Brown Sugar1.001603g0mg260mg32g9g3g4g
Renew Life Organic Triple Fiber1.00401g0mg0mg5g0g4g3g
Dannon Yogurt Activia Lowfat Peach1.001102g5mg70mg19g17g0g5g
Banana, Medium0.50530g0mg1mg13g7g2g1g
Homemade Split Pea Soup With Ham2.001921g10mg325mg31g3g6g15g
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Original1.001006g0mg220mg11g3g0g1g
Projoba Pollen Burst1.00500g0mg0mg15g10g0g0g
Youngevity Renu IQ Adaptogenix1.00100g0mg0mg3g3g0g0g
Knudsen Lowfat Cottage Cheese 2%1.501504g23mg585mg6g6g0g21g
Nabisco Triscuit, Reduced Fat1.001203g0mg160mg21g0g3g3g
Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting1.001975g1mg64mg35g27g0g3g
Lasagna0.752638g30mg698mg29g5g2g18g
Homemade Chili1.5037113g0mg1,575mg34g0g12g32g
Breyers OREO Cookies and Cream1.502109g23mg135mg32g23g0g3g
FitnessMinutesCals Burned
Walk: 3 mph (20 min/mi)95.0-748.0
TotalsCalsFatCholestSodiumCarbsSugarsFiberProtein
1,37757g91mg4,167mg305g113g35g112g


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/diary/who/#ixzz2inYdi6TF


Glasses of water: 5

No 4 mg Chlortrimeton allergy pills and 1 excedrin today along with 3 aspirin.  I took my prescribed 10 mg Zetia, 500 mg Metformin, 10 MEQ of Potassium Chloride and my 20 mg crestor but no Nutrilite vitamins today.

Cheerio!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of pictures, would you compare this quality of trail to the one you took becca and I on? And I'm guessing with all the awes pictures this trail will be one of your ebooks in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trail I took you and Becca on is more scenic and is in better condition. It's also much steeper. This one I'm thinking of doing a 20 mile loop on for my traditional Thanksgiving Walk, and seeing who will join me for portions. So far I have Doug signed up to do 2.5 miles of it with me. I'm trying to do it in little pieces before then so I know it well. I am enjoying it enough that I'm thinking of doing an e-book on it, yes. I'm hoping people will enjoy the pictures and the many mountain bikers that use the trail will like having a more detailed guide available. :-)

    ReplyDelete