"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, April 4, 2014

14-94


I did go on a jolly long walk today, but I'll start with this brilliant picture taken at my mission reunion this evening.  For all of you who have asked what part of England was and wasn't included in my mission, now you have it.  The people bring back good memories for me as well!

The reunion was in Riverton, which followed tax appointments and a 5.53 mile walk mostly along the Provo River Parkway.  The 112 feet climbed combined with the average 4770 foot elevation yields a tortoise rating of 5.3 ... except ...the 1:43:43 hours and the distance gives us our first Benjamin Category Override on the tortoise rating at:  5.

I've got some surprises in the pictures when you click to keep reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at Humana Fit

My route continued my walk on the scenic Provo River Parkway, begun almost a year ago (you can check it out by clicking:  here. )  Here's some of the pictures for today's walk:





Took a short detour to say hello to Benjamin vicariously.






Reached my turnaround point ... the 800 North (Orem) parking lot
that was my starting point last time

Love this sign to let me know I've found the right chapel for my mission reunion.
Next one is in October 2017

Utahns and former Utahns might remember TV weatherman Kent Norton (left
in the singing group "The Family Album").  Sarah will smile to know Dan Price
 is on the far right.  Dave DeCoursey was my Mission Home companion
and is next to Norton.  Second from the right is Paul Taggert, who is preparing to leave in July to be a mission president in New Jersey.
Group shot.  I'm a little right of center near the back.  My president and his wife
have both passed on now, but one of their ten sons and his wife came to visit
with us, Gordon Smith, who some of you will know as a former US Senator from
Oregon and as an Area Seventy in the North America Northeast Area.  Those
experiences let him give some new light on old experiences, for example when
Elder Gordon B. Hinckley came to our mission as President Harold B. Lee's
companion and both spoke to us in a joint mission conference
with the England South Mission.





As a bonus for all you futbol fans who want to know where your
favorite teams are compared to where I was, here's an overall view.
The Greenwich (or prime) meridian line that you see just west of
Cambridge is fairly close to our mission boundary, hence our name
England East Mission -- we were the mission in the Eastern Hemisphere. :-)

And this one shows my areas.  Josh and Becca should love the small handwriting. :-)


2014 Stats:

278.93 miles walked, which is 27.89% of my 2014 goal.
87:23:56 hours walked, which is 27.92% of my 2014 goal
13,077 total feet climbed
44,296 calories burned
 25.56% of the year has passed
I've walked on 76 of the 81 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 93.83% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome that you were able to attend your mission reunion, you look so happy in the pictures friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walking and Mom's supplements are the fountain of youth ... seeing friends is always good for putting a smile on my face ... can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete