"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, September 5, 2014

14-248


Riders were practicing at the American Legion Rodeo Grounds as Tortoise walked by on his way home from work.  Beautiful horses, skillfully ridden.  It was fun to watch!  Tonight's route covered 3.75 miles, with 238 feet climbed, in 1:18:23 hours, including stops along the way to talk to friends.  Tortoise rating was 4.9; calories burned were 603.  For a map and a thought from "The Motorcycle Ride", by Kenneth Johnson, heard along the way tonight, please click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

708.87 miles walked, which is 70.82% of my 2014 goal.
224:09:37 hours walked, which is 71.62% of my 2014 goal
33,519 total feet climbed 
113,223 calories burned
68.05% of the year has passed

I've walked 22 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on August 11, and overall have walked on 201 of the 213 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.37% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


And now a thought from another fine Brit, this one hailing from Norwich, just 45 miles up the A140 from my friends in Ipswich.  When Kenneth Johnson was called to the Second Quorum of the Seventy at age 49, here is part of his initial message:

"As I collect my thoughts in this new assignment, they go to my peer group—the young men of the Church. I think back just a few years when I was sixteen years old and a printing apprentice. A fellow apprentice was totally engrossed in motorcycles. In those days we rode British motorcycles, and he had an AJS-350.
"One sunny summer’s day, he said to me, “Would you like to come for a ride on my motorcycle?” That seemed to be a good idea. In those days we didn’t wear any protective clothing, and, thus very lightly clad, I became the passenger on his motorcycle. He weaved through the streets of Norwich and then came to a long, straight road. He leaned back and said to me, “Have you ever traveled at one hundred miles an hour?”
"I said, “No.”
"He said, “Well, you’re going to.”
"I said, “We don’t have to.”
"He began to rev the motorcycle, and the motorcycle roared forward. The skin on my face pulled tight, and the clothing blew as we went past ninety-eight to one hundred miles an hour. I determined that day that never again would I let somebody else control my life.
"Young men, make sure that every invitation you extend and every invitation you receive is an invitation to come unto Christ."
To watch, listen to, or read his full speech, please visit: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1990/04/the-motorcycle-ride?lang=eng

For more on his life, check out this link:  http://www.ldschurchnewsarchive.com/articles/20576/His-enthusiasm-for-life-is-infectious.html.  I especially smile at the thought that he is currentlyenjoying his "retirement" by serving as the London Temple president.

The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. Motorcycles horses Ipswich and Norwich; sounds total to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the London Temple! Only the best :-)

    ReplyDelete