"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Friday, September 12, 2014

14-255


If you look carefully in the lower portion of the picture you will see the burning H on the hillside ... it's Homecoming night at Hurricane High.  It was fun to look at much of Tortoise's 3.79 mile walk home.  He climbed 243 feet along the way in 1:07:42 hours.  Tortoise rating on the uphill half was 4.8 and 591 calories were burned.  A map and Michaelene Grassli await you when you click below to continue reading ...

Cheerio!



Create Maps or search from 80 million at MapMyFitness

2014 Stats:

730.03 miles walked, which is 72.93% of my 2014 goal.
230:51:59 hours walked, which is 73.76% of my 2014 goal
34,932 total feet climbed 
116,590 calories burned
69.97% of the year has passed

I've walked 28 consecutive non-Sundays since my last missed day on August 11, and overall have walked on 207 of the 219 non-Sundays thus far in 2014, a 94.52% consistency rating.

The purpose of the percentages is to have a higher percentage of distance and time walked than of the year. This tells me I am on track. I'm sure this is more numbers than you are interested in, all I can say is I'm really good at setting high goals and having them slip away because I don't do them every, every day.


Our thought tonight comes from Michaelene Grassli, who served in the General Primary Presidency from 1980 to 1994.  I dedicate it to Abigail, Chloe, Emma, Kate, Maude, and Maggie, all of whom I can imagine snuggling with Grandma and doing this on a summer morning ... 

"When I was a girl, on summer mornings the first sound I heard through my open window as I was waking was the song of a meadowlark. I liked the call of the killdeer, the chirp of the chickadee, and the screech of the magpie. But the song of the meadowlark was especially beautiful to me, and I trained my ear to hear it amid other sounds.
"We can train our spiritual senses the same way so that we can recognize our Heavenly Father’s will for us. We train our spiritual senses by doing good things. We are taught to “search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil; and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.” (Moro. 7:19.)
"To 'lay hold upon every good thing' means to look for good and do good. Then you will have good feelings.
You can watch, listen to, or read this speech in full by visiting https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/10/follow-him?lang=eng.  I hope you will!

The tortoise is smiling!

2 comments:

  1. Certainly a simple formula for happiness.....look for good and do good, naturally good feelings follow. I will definitely pass it along to Kate, and make sure she knows that Grandpa loves her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I need to know I learned in Primary (with a big shoutout to kindergarten along the way!)

    ReplyDelete