"The Blog Almost Too Boring To Be The Most Boring Blog in America ... for Over 5 Years!"

until it got too many red cards from Wounded Duck and the Boredom Enforcement Committee ... now the tortoise's goal is to get to 10 red cards so he can get Big Dog to drive down and take a good long walk with the tortoise

P. S. This blog listens to its readers. We have the Benjamin Category Override for 5+ mile walks and now, it humbles Tortoise to say he has been named "Lou", by Doug Jr, in memory of Mr. Consistency himself, Lou Gehrig. Tortoise can hardly type the words to think he is in any way comparable to the noble Iron Horse. Thank you!


Wednesday, April 27, 2016

16-118


Mile 316.  It was an unusual third day with welcome rain in southern Utah.  Tortoise had tired bones and muscles and actually didn't much feel like walking, but seeing how that is unacceptable, he walked anyway, slowed the pace a touch and enjoyed the air freshened by the rain.  This family shown above playing ball were enjoying it too.

Today's walking thought is different than our usual pattern here.  It is a poem written by Bruce McConkie, set to music by John Longhurst, and sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  Wounded Duck sent Tortoise a link to a 1976 BYU devotional address by Elder McConkie, which brought back many memories, because Lou was there just beginning studies towards a masters degree and heard it live.  It also brought back memories because Elder McConkie three years before that, in 1973, had toured his mission in London where Lou heard him speak several times in the course of a week. Lou also had a very brief personal interview with him in the Medway LDS Chapel in Gillingham, England.  .


A picture of a picture is not the greatest technology, but through the trees
is the Medway chapel, kind of gives you a feel for the location.
A better view of the Medway chapel
Elder McConkie was a large man, 6 feet 5 inches tall, and his voice matched his size.  It was full of passion and energy for his subject matter, which always seemed to focus on the life and ministry of Christ.  The full devotional address is a true classic, and Lou thoroughly enjoyed hearing it again on his walk.  However it is long for this blog post at about 44 minutes, so Tortoise hopes you will enjoy its distillation into 5 minutes of glorious song.

Cheerio!



View out Tortoise's office rear door while waiting for a pause in the rain.





Today's walk was 3.26 miles, done in 57:21 minutes at an average pace of 17:36 minutes per mile.  This route had an average 4.7 tortoise rating earned by climbing 227 feet in the 1.63 mile uphill portion. Average elevation was 3285.  This walk burned 487 calories.  It was Lou's fifty-eighth 5k walk of the year.

Weigh-in: 225.6, a 1.9 pound decrease compared with Lou's last weigh-in on March 31.

Here are the overall stats so far for 2016:

316.80 miles walked, compared with Lou's goal for this date of 321.66 miles.
  
22,499 total feet climbed so far in 2016, compared to a year-to-date goal of 19,796. Lou hopes to climb more than the 61,316 feet he climbed in 2015 -- but in 16 minutes less each day than his 1:07:04 hour average in 2015.  So far in 2016 Tortoise's walks have averaged 51:25 minutes each.

His average pace so far in 2016 has been 16:24 minutes per mile, slightly more tortoise like than his goal of 16:05 minutes per mile, but a noticeable difference from his 18:25 minute per mile pace in 2015.

Lou has walked 302 consecutive non-Sundays since his 8 missed days May 2-11, Overall he has walked on 405 of the 414 non-Sundays in 2015-16, a 97.83% consistency rating.  

One step at a time can lead to great things!


And now for today's walking thought ...


'

Listening to this stunning rendition by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir is vastly superior, but if you don't have five glorious minutes to do that, here are the words:

"I believe in Christ, he is my King!
 With all my heart to him I'll sing;
 I'll raise my voice in praise and joy,
 In grand amens my tongue employ.
 I believe in Christ, he is God's Son.
 On earth to dwell his soul did come.
 He healed the sick; the dead he raised.
 Good works were his; his name be praised.

"I believe in Christ; oh blessed name!
 As Mary's Son he came to reign
 'Mid mortal men, his earthly kin,
 To save them from the woes of sin.
 I believe in Christ, who marked the path,
 Who did gain all his Father hath,
 Who said to men, 'Come follow me,
 That ye, my friends, with God may be.'

"I believe in Christ -- my Lord, my God!
 My feet he plants on Gospel sod.
 I'll worship him with all my might;
 He is the source of truth and light.
 I believe in Christ, he ransoms me.
 From Satan's grasp he sets me free.
 And I shall live with joy and love
 In his eternal courts above.

"I believe in Christ; he stands supreme!
 From him I'll gain my fondest dream;
 And while I strive through grief and pain,
 His voice is heard: 'Ye shall obtain.'
 I believe in Christ, so come what may,
 With him I'll stand in that great day
 When on this earth he comes again
 To rule among the sons of men."


Yes, we members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, commonly called Mormons, do most definitely believe in Christ!

The tortoise is smiling!

No comments:

Post a Comment